Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Wild About Harry

We now interrupt our regularly scheduled reading to read the first six Harry Potter books--again--before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out next month.

Jenny and I may be the only two in The Group who are really excited about this final book. The others are subjected to our theories every month whether they want to be or not. Of course, with a couple years between books, the theories don't change much so I can sorta see why there are not-so-muffled groans whenever we start. But I think it's a testimony to the level of storytelling that adults are debating what may happen next.

I've said it before, but I'll put it here for the world, or the three friends who read this, to see: J.K. Rowling deserves every cent she's made and all the good things that have gone her way for making it cool for kids to read. That is a major accomplishment and one that every writer should thank her for on a regular basis.

But, you say, I don't write children's or YA books. So? The kids who were 12 when she started the series are now 21. I'm thinking they've probably moved on to adult fantasy or mysteries or mainstream.

So, thank you, Jo! Good on ya! Oh, and thanks for the fun books, too.

1 comment:

Jenny Maloney said...

I'm on Chamber of Secrets already! Go Rowling!

I also have to say that Rowling deserved/s every penny for both the children-reading and for telling a spectacular story.