Monday, January 28, 2008

Poor D.B.

She is really struggling with The Artist's Way right now. I tried to tell her that it took me three tries to get past the fourth week, but I don't think she's buying it. I had a lot of trouble with the "no reading" rule for week four. It stopped me cold the first time, along with all the emotions and issues that had been brought up in the first three weeks. The second time, too. Finally, I just said, "Screw it" or something like it the third time and ignored the rule.

D.B. has trouble ignoring rules. I'm afraid this week may break her. I hope she does continue. I think she could have fun with it. But she's got to want to do it so I'm backing off.

It's been an interesting 3 weeks for me, too. I pulled out my copy of the book and have been reading along with her. Some of the pages are falling out. The result of going over the first part so many times until I "got it right". I've also revisited some of the tasks and exercises. Interesting. I couldn't find the original notebook so I don't know exactly how my answers differ this time around, but I'd bet they do. Different place in my own journey.

Like D.B. I had started thinking too much about Morning Pages. I've been zipping along on them and getting better results. And I've been trying to do them before anything else in the morning. As the day starts to intrude, the tone of the pages changes. Maybe Afternoon Pages should be in a separate journal. That might help clean out for evening writing. Interesting thought. We'll see.

So, this week is all about revision. Re-vision. Seeing again. Looking at MMG with new eyes, but also seeing it for the umpteenth time. That should be an interesting journey, too. Let's hope it's a fun and productive one.

No comments: