Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm Baaack

Wow, what a change of scene. When I left Phoenix on Saturday afternoon, it was in the mid-80s even though it was overcast. Snow and rain the whole day on Sunday. But it was a good day to unpack and unwind and un-snit the cat.

The week was great. Miss Elizabeth was a trip. Her vocabulary is huge, although she mispronounces just enough to be cute. And her imagination has taken off. We played a lot of pretend. "I'm Annaliese and you're Erika," she'd tell me. (Barbie Princess and the Pauper for those of you who are confused.) She also does groovy claw hands as the Wicked Witch or the White Witch (we also watched Narnia a couple times). Three is a fun age.

Kelly, my nephew and Elizabeth's dad, and I played WII--I whupped his butt at bowling and boxing and beat his initial scores on the crossbow game (who knew that they had rapid-fire, automatic crossbows?) and went to see Vantage Point (good flick).

Amy, Kelly's wife and Elizabeth's mom, and I went to a place called Beads Galore. I got a few things for me and some 'thank you' beads for DB for covering for me while I was gone. And as bribes to teach me what she's learned so far.

Most of the time, though was just hanging out. Which I tend to like best on vacation. We caught up and watched DVDs and, mainly, played with Elizabeth.

Now it's back to work--work-work and writing-work. Yes, I was a almost a total slacker. I read a couple books. And I made note of a woman I saw at the play area at the mall. Interesting. There's a short story there. Eventually.

4 comments:

Jenny Maloney said...

Wow, Miss E has gotten big!

I have to say that I'm a little jealous that you got to play "Annaliese and Erika" because I generally am playing "I'm Optimus Prime and you're Megatron (and the baby gets to be the minicon 'Drill Bit')"--though recently Owen's gotten into He Man (it's a long story) and now it's "I'm He Man, you play Teela"--at least I get to play a girl now. Skeletor remains in our imagination. Thank heaven because I really don't want to have to dress up in blue paint.

Mishell said...

I miss when my nieces where that age. Alicia, especially, with her mispronouncings, was a joy to be around. My Elizabeth, once she started talking in an understandable manner, never really had the same speech flubs. Ah, kids. Sometimes I wish I had them, then I think---teenagers---and I'm okay without. I'm glad you had a good time, Deb. Good to have you back.

Ali said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Glad, as well, to have you back :)

Debbie said...

Thanks, guys (a favorite word of Miss E). It's good to be back. Even if work has been busy, busy, busy. But it's also nice to be needed. Ya know?