Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What Have I Done?

I just signed up for American Icon is what I've done.

Panic attack already starting.

It's one of those get outside your comfort zone things that Ali-demon loves to talk about. And I realized last night that I've been avoiding reading at Icon. The first year I was there to cheer on Geoff and Moe. Second year I was there to cheer on Bret. Last year I wasn't there but still cheered on Jenny. But I never even considered getting up there myself. Like most people, I hate standing in front of a crowd.

So that's why I'm doing it. Because I don't want to--if that makes any sense. I'm also submitting a proposal to the PPW Conference planning committee to give a workshop on how to make a magazine editor happy. Again, standing in front of strangers. And not just reading, but teaching. Yikes!

Am I crazy? Well, yeah. You already knew that. But there is a method to my madness. The more I do things like this now, the easier it will get. The ultimate goal is to get those books published and sold and, fingers tightly crossed, on the Best Seller lists. Which means interviews and readings and the like. Better I make a fool of myself now in a local venue where I know most of the people than on a larger scale. Chances are I'll still find a way to make a fool of myself, but maybe not as big a one.

Okay, I'm going to go breathe into a paper bag now.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Doing something because it makes you uncomfortable makes perfect sense to me ;)

I'm so excited for you - if nothing else you've already earned ballsy-points.

Minion GIR said...

Care to join me? Read from Oracle perhaps?

Ali said...

Yeah... I'm just not feeling it right now :)