Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What A Character!

Yesterday, I did a little more work on the outline of the new novel. Since I don't have a title I like yet, I will refer to it here as TNN for The New Novel.

Instead of sticking with just the outline, though, I got into some of the characters. Most of the story will be seen through the eyes of a 15-year-old boy. He's the only son of a single mother with 4 daughters ranging from 21 years old to 5. I've been able to see him in my mind for a while now, but didn't have a name I liked. Yesterday, it finally came to me: Wardell. Suits him to a 't'.

I thought about Mary, who is so great at names for her characters. There's usually two or three levels to her names. Always impresses me.

How do you deal with character names? Is it not a big deal or do you fret over them?

1 comment:

Ali said...

I'm one of those folks who gets really invested in character names. If the name doesn't fit, then I can't get the character to make sense in my head. Of course, this is mostly important with main characters vs. minor.